Saturday, October 17, 2009

My Big Sister


The other day I found out that my big sister has cancer. We don’t know much in the way of a prognosis at this time, but we will learn more after her Oncologist visit next week in Reno, Nevada. It seems so cruel and unethical (to me) for a Nurse Practioner to give that kind of news over the phone. But then again, maybe it beats waiting even another day to hear your biopsy results. I can only imagine what was going through her mind as she was told the news. Not long ago, cancer was a death sentence with no hope. I know for a fact after seeing my dad and brother go through cancer treatments, great medical strides have been made in the area of oncology. She has Endometrial cancer or cancer of the uterus. Endometrial is not a word that ever vibrated my vocal cords before, but I’m sure in time it will be a frequently used word in my lexis. Like I told her on the phone the other night, this is a dark time right now, devoid of any real hard facts or a game plan. In due time, everything will reveal itself in the light of truth and information. The fear will give way to understanding, and understanding will usher in the determination to battle this foe. My sister is tough, a fighter, and a survivor. Right now she doesn’t feel that way through the tears, but even the strongest warriors have tears. Fear comes from that which is unknown, security comes through knowledge and the revelation of truth. There is no shame in tears, no condemnation for the hopeless thoughts that initially come with news of this magnitude. But I know in time, this will be a valuable and precious time for her to grow as a person, a woman, and as a member of a family that loves her dearly. We Love You, Dee!

1 comment:

Dee said...

I just read this and I just wanted to say that it was a learning experience. I learned things about myself that I wouldn't have otherwise. I am still haunted by the fact that cancer could pop up somewhere else, but I don't dwell on that. Not knowing how close death is to you really makes you see things a lot different. It makes you understand things clearer too.
I Love you too and so thankful for the wonderful family that I Love with my entire being.