Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Who Are You?


It’s so amazing to listen to music from thirty or forty years ago on a modern contraption like an iPod. The sound quality is so amazing. Lately, I have been on a really huge “Who Kick” while working out at the gym. How mind-blowing is that, remembering all the bad behavior back in the day listening to The Who and now on an elliptical machine making up for all that bad behavior. It sort of redeems The Who for encouraging all the rebellion and anger, bringing them into the present to assist in my wellness plan. The fire in their music remains as powerful as ever, just positively harnessed this time around. A rebellion against the bulge, and anger at myself for allowing the horizontal spread.

I am enjoying the musical trip down memory lane. Remember the people, the hanging out, and the hard-learned lessons. I see now that all the good, as well as the bad experiences, are the life builders that contributed to who I am today.

Music held such an integral part of my early years. I was exposed to so many different genres. I was able to appreciate most and allowed them to permeate and echo throughout my very being. I am fascinated by the brain's memory system that can totally recall the sights, smells, sensations, and the people that were in your world when you heard a particularly meaningful song for the first time, or at a critical period of your life.

Today music still plays a major role in my life. Very rarely do I drive anywhere without music playing. I’m surprised I haven’t deployed the airbag banging on my drum set steering wheel as hard as I do. I even have a cymbal hanging from the sun visor, one of those fundraising paper poppy’s the VFW makes and sells around Memorial Day.

Music can change your mood or refocus us on the things in life that are important. Country music has gotten a bad reputation over the years as being just about drinking, cheating, losing spouses, dogs, respect, hair, or even your truck. There may be some of that, but mostly it’s about family and hometown life. A simpler place, and a welcome respite from time to time. Or maybe your thing is to crank up some Kaskade, Deadmau5, or Lady GaGa and do a little club dancing. Sometimes I get in the mood for classical music to whisk all my stress away. A little jazz on a hot summer day has been known to cause a cooling effect, bringing the mind to a cooler more peaceful place.

It’s all good as they say, depending on the mood you’re in or where you want to go. What you’re listening to is a reflection of who you are on the inside right now.

So...who are you?

1 comment:

Al Yerks said...

This was written in 2009 and for some reason was never published here until now - Al Yerks