Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Baptism Testimony

This is a transcript of my testimony before I was baptized at First Baptist Church of Tarrytown in New York. Sunday, September 8, 2013

Good Morning,

My name is Al Yerks. My wife Veronika and I have been attending First Baptist Church since June of this year. We are so pleased to be here today to make a public profession of faith through the waters of baptism. We are also anticipating exciting times ahead as a church here at First Baptist.
Jesus tells us in Luke 5:32; “I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.”

27 years ago I asked “Jesus into my heart” at a meeting of Christian Businessmen. I was told that as a result of MY decision to follow Jesus, life would be perfect and smooth sailing. (I believed them because I wanted it to be so) As many of you sitting here this morning can attest, life is never perfect, or a smooth sail. But our God is perfect, and the winds and waves are subject to His command.

Over the years I did everything that was outwardly Christian, I was a Youth Pastor, a Deacon, A Small Group Home Fellowship Pastor, and even a drummer in a praise band. But I was not truly a Christian. I did all the right things, said all the right words, listened exclusively to Christian music, attended church every Sunday, and even Wednesday night services because that was the right thing to do. But I had never repented of my sins and learned to trust Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord. With all that ministry involvement, still, I was not honoring God’s Kingdom.

In July of 2012, my dear Uncle Frank was dying and I had no real words of encouragement, and nothing to share with him (or anyone) about Jesus or our eternal souls. The well was dry! Sure, I could have told him that God loved him, but I had no internal prompting to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ because it was not my own, no Holy Spirit living inside of me to testify of God’s Good News of hope, reconciliation, salvation and eternal life.

After my Uncle’s death, I began a search to find the truth. I happened upon a Christian TV show called “Wretched” named after the line in the hymn ‘Amazing Grace. “Amazing grace how sweet the sound That saved a wretch like me.” I began to watch the show every day, it was practical and humorous, and it would so often hit me right between the eyes and in my very heart with the Gospel of Jesus Christ that had somehow eluded me all these years. I checked out the Wretched website to get more information about the ministry and of this interesting man, who was sometimes funny, but life and death serious when it came to salvation and sharing of The Gospel.

The website was taught by the host Todd Friel, called “Are You Really A Christian?” I listened, and it convicted me that I had never repented of my sins, or trusted Jesus as I would a parachute to save my life in an emergency jump. I had formed a god into my own image to justify, and suit my lifestyle. I continued to willfully sin all those years as a so-called Christian, never “wrestling” with sin because I was not truly regenerated. Using the 10 commandments as a mirror showed me God’s standard, and how on my own, I failed and fell miserably short of His glory. So, to truthfully answer the question: “Are You Really A Christian” I had to say no, I was not!

July 11, 2012, is the day I finally came to the end of myself, tear-filled and on my face before a Holy and Just God. I repented (by turning from my sins, and turning to the amazing Savior Jesus Christ) for it is by grace alone, through Faith alone, in Jesus Christ alone that I humbly stand before you today a Christian, wretched and sinful, yet saved by God’s amazing grace.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful. All Glory to God!

Al Yerks said...

Amen, Lisa!