Thursday, February 12, 2009

Everyday...and then some


“You could have bowed out gracefully but you didn’t. You knew enough to know to leave well enough alone but you wouldn’t. I drive myself crazy trying to stay out of my own way but the mess’s that I made My secrets are so safe you’re the only one that gets me, yah you get me. It’s amazing to me how every day, every day, every day you save my life. I come around all broken down and crowded out, and your comfort sometimes the place I go is so deep and dark and desperate I don’t know, I don’t know But every day, every day, every day you save my life Sometimes I swear I don’t know if I’m coming or going, but you always say something without even knowing that I’m hanging onto your words with all of my might, and it’s alright, yeah I’m alright, for one more night…Everyday…” Rascal Flatts I have a friend that this song could have been written about. I will not mention any names or gender. I hope in my attempt at anonymity for them they will not feel threatened but will realize that this is an attempt to honor them. You will not know who this person is…but hopefully, they will. This person is both younger and older than me, wiser than they could ever know, and far beyond their years. Just being who they are in my life, makes them one of the most important, and influential people I have ever known. I hope if they ever get to read this, they will know who I am writing about, and know what a life-changing event it has been to have them in my life. This person from the beginning has seen through my walls because they have them too. It takes one to know what they say, and it is so true. This person has been the inspiration for me to write these little notes every day, and to just be a better person in general. They have never asked for anything in return as if I could ever repay what they have given. They are humble, and they would never see the gift they are. Sometimes it’s a little five-word text, sometimes it’s a look, sometimes it’s just the way they open up to me when I know how difficult that is for them to be vulnerable to anyone. They have taught me to open up and be vulnerable and made sure I felt safe there. I’m so sure that this person has no clue about the influence they have had on my life. That is why I am taking the time here and now to say thank you, friend. Sometimes we receive a gift that we appreciate very much for some time. Then as time passes, we take it for granted and forget the impact it has on our life. I hope that you find someone in your life who both inspires you and challenges you. Someone that sees through the mask, asks you to take it off and assures you they like who they see behind it. I am blessed to have such a person, and I want them to know I am grateful!

No comments: