Sunday, February 22, 2009

Morning Coffee


Sunday morning coffee, what a great thing. Fresh brewed gourmet coffee from a Keurig single-cup machine. There are a bunch of things I want to accomplish today. But until I have my coffee, my body won’t even think of moving in the right direction. It’s pretty sad actually to be a slave to something in a cup, but it is what it is, as they say. I can’t for the life of me figure out why I’m dreading the work week that starts tomorrow when there is plenty of weekends left to enjoy today. I’m a firm believer in having things to look forward to. But I guess they have to be exciting things to get the mind flowing with possibilities. I’m still working on that cup of coffee. Maybe by the time I finish the last drop, I will feel motivated to take on the world. But then the thought just came to me. I’m writing a lot of Me, My’s, and I’s. My world is a bit self-centered today for some reason. Am I setting myself up for a pity party today? I’m not going there! I have too many amazing things in my life to spend even a coffee cup’s worth of time feeling down. I am blessed to have my parents still here that love me. I have my brothers and sister that I know beyond any shadow of a doubt that love me. I have incredible friends, a job, and a place to live. And the thing I take for granted the most, I woke up this morning feeling physically in good health. Thank God for that! So now the psychological health needs to be jump-started a bit. If you are like me, at times that is a struggle but totally within reach. I’m feeling better already, and I still have coffee in my cup. I just have to make the choice to live my life every day, and not participate in it. Joni Eareckson Tada is an incredible author, painter, and motivational speaker. In the summer of 1967, she dove into a shallow lake, breaking her neck and leaving her paralyzed from the neck down. She paints and draws with her mouth far better than I could ever dream of with two good hands. I think of an interview I once heard her give. She said that she had to make a conscious decision every day to participate in life. She could lay there in her sorrow, or allow people to get her out of bed, dress her and get her ready for the day ahead. That all started within. So now my coffee cup is nearly empty. I have a choice to get another cup or allow myself to get ready for the day. I am excited to see what it may bring. Or maybe, just maybe, what I can bring to it. I am having that second cup, but this one will be sporting a travel lid!

No comments: